Welcome to Waste Not Wednesday #5 from beautiful Alabama! No, we didn’t move to Alabama, we are here visiting my sister-in-law for a few days so I’ve started the party from her house this week. Being from Northern California we’re not used to Summer thunder storms. Foolishly I was outside last night standing with my phone to the sky getting a little video of the lightening. Can you say California Lightening Rod? 🙂 not my smartest move ever but thankfully it was off in the distance.
I had planned to talk about Sweet Tea for this post because I’m in the south after all and they are well known for their Sweet Tea. But I had another opportunity today that moved me and I want to share. We went to the Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church in Montgomery for a tour of the church and then of the Parsonage, Dr. King’s family home while he Pastored there.
It was an emotional day for me and I teared up more than a few times thinking of the struggles of so many people who just wanted to be treated with dignity and respect. Both of our tour guides today were wonderfully passionate women. Miss Wanda and Miss Shirley shared so many wonderful details of Dr. King and his family. They shared the history of his death but also the truth of his message and how he lived his life. To love others, that was his call as a Man of God and a believer of Jesus; and that’s the message he preached even in the face of hate and threats.
After that on our way home we stopped by my sister-in-law’s church to take pictures at VBS, vacation bible school. So many school age children having fun learning about Jesus. So many black and white children sharing the pews and laughing together. Dr. King would be so happy to see all those smiling faces… together.
Thanks for letting me share my emotions with you today before we get to the party. It’s part of our life and our history and since I am pretty much an open book I wanted to share this part of me with you too.
If you’re new here Waste Not Wednesday #5 is a link party where DIYers come together to share upcycle, recycle, and DIY projects they’ve created. Each week my co-hosts and I choose and feature our favorites from the prior week. I hope you enjoy exploring all the great DIY Projects that are linked up each week. If you want more DIY inspiration you can check out last week’s party here.
Check out this week’s features below; we can’t wait to see what everyone links up this week.
Here’s what we’ve been up to:
Our Favorite Waste Not Wednesday Projects:
DIY Entryway Plank Wall by Sawdust Sisters
How to Repurpose Cans by The Boondocks Blog
Weathered Gray Chalk-painted Coat Rack by Honey n Hydrangea
Wildfire Upcycled Chair Planter by Sustain My Craft Habit
If you were featured this week feel free to grab our button and share the love!
- Please make sure you link to your own specific post and not your home page.
- All links must belong to you.
- Please don’t link up any other link parties, giveaways or a product you are selling unless it comes with a tutorial.
- We want this party to stay around so don’t just link and run. Be sure to stop by at least 2 other links and show some love.
- Please don’t pin from the thumbnails in this post. Click on the link and pin from original source.
- By linking up here at Waste Not Wednesday you are giving us permission to use your photos and links to promote the party, or in other round ups.
- You can link up to 3 of your DIY, Home Decor or Craft projects.
- It would be greatly appreciated to follow us on one social platform.
- Please only link up projects that you have not shared with Waste Not Wednesday before.
As an added bonus each week there will be an additional feature of the most clicked project! So be sure to pop by some other awesome bloggers and show them some love!
Tie Dye Fabric with All Natural Dye by The Chelsea Project
Sign Up and join in all the fun each week with a friendly email sent straight to your inbox.
Now let’s see what you’ve been up to for